Bespokify is a disruptive fashion tech company. They pioneered an automation algorithm that instantly produces custom-designed, fitted garment patterns based on 3D body scans or body measurements.
Bespokify purely focused on B2B for the past 2 years. They recently saw a market opportunity for a B2C online pattern marketplace using their existing automation tech to create patterns for customers.
We partnered with Bespokify to create strategy and design “Threads X,” a platform where entrepreneurs can easily start their own fashion brand without the pain of risking investment, managing an inventory, or fulfilling orders.
- Digital Business Strategy
- UX Research & Design
- Branding & Visual Design
- Responsive Web Design
Through a facilitated strategy session with Bespokify's CEO and team leaders, we uncover insights on the business, the users, and core problems to solve.
We discussed business goals around three metrics: awareness, revenue, and efficiency, and agreed upon these priorities:
- Generating revenue quickly with an upfront payment, e.g. a sign up fee or a monthly subscription.
- Increasing awareness of Bespokify’s automation tech through Threads X, and in turn, increase leads for premium B2B clients.
To understand the users and ensure that we build a product they truly want, we worked with the client to create 2 user personas:
- The first persona was based on an existing B2B client who would prefer this B2C solution if available.
- The second persona was the ideal user group that Bespokify wanted to target. We brainstormed a customer journey for these users from brand awareness, engagement, loyalty, to referral.
Key commonalities among users:
- 30–40 year old, mostly females
- Left the corporate world to become their own boss in the creative business
- No technical skills in fashion design or production
- Prefer visual-heavy websites with a simple learning curve
We captured defining brand attributes of Bespokify into a brand positioning statement:
Research & Analysis
Bespokify pioneered pattern automation and is the first to market. Still, there were many indirect competitors and brands with similar visual language in the e-commerce space. We identified these brands and performed a competitive audit to identify opportunities, trends and existing pattern language.
We included 3 main categories of brands in the analysis:
- Print on demand marketplace: Redbubble, Threadless, Represent
- Customizable fashion ecommerce: NikeID, UMd, Fame and Partners
- Pattern retailer: McCall, Sewaholic
We conducted 4 in-depth user interviews, with 2 participants representing each user persona, to understand their needs and thoughts on the concept. We found out that:
- Users did not like complexity. They want the brand setup process and purchasing options to be simple.
- Users wanted to feel like they are creating unique designs. However, too many customizable options are confusing and paralyzing.
- Users were delighted to learn that they did not have to invest in an inventory.
- Users were skeptical about the “perfectly fitted” garment claim and had high expectations.
Improving the Original Concept
The client initially provided some UI design of the original pattern marketplace concept. This concept let users code their own garment patterns from a bodice, and supplied them with thousands of design variations to make their patterns unique.
After gaining more insights, we quickly realized that this concept was too technical for the target users, and the visual design of this UI did not represent the brand very well.
Finalizing the Business Design
We sat down with the CEO to refine the Threads X concept. We concluded that Threads X would be a platform for users to easily start their own fashion brand and sell apparels online. Users can buy pre-made, customizable garment designs for their store and start selling right away. Bespokify would handle everything from on-demand production to delivery to the end customers.
We proposed a “start your own brand fast track” as a solution to the client’s goal of ensuring an upfront payment while providing a delightful user experience. This fast track piques users’ interest by asking them to name their own fashion brand, choose a bundle of either 4, 8, or 12 designs for their brand, and checkout straightforwardly. Each bundle is a collection of a particular fashion style, such as romantic, preppy, sporty, or casual. Users would pay upfront for the commercial rights to sell the design (similar to stock resources), and they can freely sell them afterward.
Information architecture & user flow
Threads X was a challenging product to design, having 2 distinct user types and 13 main use cases, all connected to create an empowering fashion brand building experience.
The wireframes addressed the product strategies and brought the user experience to light.
Brand & Visual Design
Using the information on the users, the brand values, and the client’s preferences, we created 3 design directions. The client immediately agreed that the yellow/greyscale theme was exactly what they wanted.
Bespokify existing logo was a scissors icon, which represented garment pattern making and resembled a coat of arms. However, the client and our team agreed that in comparison to the new visual design, the logo looked outdated and off brand.
We redesigned the logo to be more geometric, proportional, and modern, similar to the visual design.
We developed the chosen direction further into a stylescape, which showcased additional brand elements like logo, brand voice, messaging, photography direction, and sample UI.
The landing page (below) includes the value propositions, “how it works” section, and a clear call to action to start a brand.
The designs section (below) shows apparel designs brand owners can browse, buy and customize to sell on their own online stores.
Launch a Fashion Brand in Minutes
Start a fashion brand bundles (below, left) includes a selection of apparel designs with distinct fashion style, for example, classing, indie, sporty, at a discount. Aspiring brand owners can quickly select a fashion style that matches their taste and launch their own online store in a few minutes. Users can see an example of what their store could look like (below, right).
Easy Brand Management
Brand owners can place orders for their customers (or customers can also order for themselves through the online shop) and enter their basic body measurements, which feeds into Bespokify's predictive API to create a perfect fitted pattern. They can easily manage orders and customers (below, middle and right).